Friday, August 22, 2008

Remembering Henri Cartier Bresson on his 100th Birthday

Today would have been Henri Cartier-Bresson's 100th birthday. I consider him, along with Garry Winogrand, Robert Frank, and Elliott Erwitt to be one of the most influential photographers in my life.

I was lucky enough to meet HCB, at the New York Museum of Modern Art, at the press opening for his show, The Early Years. He was standing in one of the galleries, wearing a windbreaker with his camera descretely mostly hidden. My friend and co-worker Peter Moore recognized him and pointed him out to me. We walked over and introduced ourselves. I thanked him for his beautiful work. He smiled politely bowed his head as we shook hands.

Then he quickly walked off into the next gallery. That was the entire meeting, but for me it was, to coin a phrase, a decisive moment!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: