Friday, May 09, 2008

30 years later, street photographer meets subject

Like many other street photographers, I've always wondered what would happen if someone I'd photographed recognized himself (or herself) in one of my photos. Would they get mad? Would they sue?

Jill Freedman, an amazing street and documentary photographer, found out when a postal worker named Mario Pesa recognized himself in one of Jill's photos. The photo, of a couple standing in front of a store's metal grating and the guy wearing a T-shirt with the image of a gun pointing at the girl's head, is one of Jill Freedman's best. According to an account in yesterday's New York Times, Mr. Pesa, who was wearing the T-shirt, simply wanted to meet the photographer. "I wanted to thank her for immortalizing me," he said.

Read the entire story.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: